EpicLLOYD as Ragnar Lodbrok
|Birth name||Regnerus Lothbrogh|
|Died||c. 840 (aged 55-104)|
Kingdom of Northumbria
|Rap battle information|
|Appeared in||Ragnar Lodbrok vs Richard The Lionheart|
|Vs||Richard the Lionheart|
|Release date||June 14th, 2021|
Information on the rapper
Ragnar Lothbrok (or Lodbrok) is a legendary Viking hero, as well as, according to the Gesta Danorum, a legendary Danish and Swedish king. He is known from Old Norse poetry of the Viking Age, Icelandic sagas, and near-contemporary chronicles. According to the traditional literature, Ragnar Lodbrok distinguished himself by many raidings against the British Isles and the Holy Roman Empire during the 9th century. He also appears in Norse legends, and according to the legendary sagas Ragnarssona þáttr and Sögubrot af nokkrum fornkonungum, Ragnar Lodbrok's father was the legendary king of the Swedes, Sigurd Ring.
According to the sagas, Ragnar earned the title "Hairy-Breeches" or "Shaggy Breeches" when he saved a princess from a giant, venomous serpent. To protect himself from the serpent's bites, he filled his pants with horse hair and pitch before soaking them in cold seawater, causing them to harden until they were near impenetrable. Ironically, Ragnar was allegedly executed by the Northumbrian king Ælla after a failed raid, thrown into a pit of snakes. He was succeeded by his son Ivar the Boneless, who led the "Great Heathen Army" in invading Britain, killing Ælla, and conquering much of the island.
Threatening to conquer Ragnar is bold,
For a king who got whacked by a ten year old!
I'll sacrifice you to Odin while drinking horns of mead!
Good thing you hold a Red Cross 'cause that's who you're going to need!
You built your army by raising English taxes!
I raise my army taxing English asses with my axes!
And who are you to talk about the circle of life?
Your old lady can't feel the love on any night! (Haha!)
Your only son was illegitimate, you heired on the side.
I'll twist your spine like the end of the Plantagenet line!
I'm just a warrior, I'm not a linguist...
But I think the king of England should probably speak English! (Ha!)
You took Acre and Jaffa like a piece of cake,
But never attacked Jerusalem, for Christ's sake!
You saw the Holy Land but couldn't go all the way!
We should call it the Crusade of Richard the First Base!
You want to fight me?! Take off the tin shirt!
I'll be waiting in my birthday suit, going berserk!
Ding Dang Dong, morning bells warn about me at the break of dawn.
And I'm putting you to sleep like your brother John!
Leaving monks in chunks on Northumbrian lawns
'Cause I'm the Allfather's spawn!
You couldn't even beat a Salad in a fight! (Eh!)
You're as soft as Monty Python knights! (Whaa!)
You went from chainmail to chained up in jail
Til Mommy drained England to pay for your bail!
But no King's Ransom will save you from these bars, son.
I'm eating you alive like the gangrene you died from!
- Lodbrok was confirmed in an Instagram post in May 2021, showing footage of EpicLLOYD in costume acting over a greenscreen. That day ERB also made a post on the ERB YouTube channel with an image of Ragnar.
- His location was also revealed in the Instagram video.
- Before his official reveal, Lodbrok was hinted at numerous times with several social media posts being captioned with "Ruh-roh", an iconic quote from the Scooby-Doo series, referencing Ragnar's nickname, "Shaggy breeches", which is similar to the Scooby-Doo character Norville Rogers, who's nickname is also Shaggy.
- Shaggy's signature quote "Zoinks!" is also referenced in the battle Lodbrok appeared in.
- He is the second Norse rapper appearing in a battle, after Thor.
- Coincidentally, both Norse rappers were portrayed/voiced by EpicLLOYD.
- He is the tenth rapper whose title card reads differently from what the announcer said, as the announcer called him "Ragnar Lothbrok", a variant spelling, while his title card reads "Ragnar Lodbrok".
- He is the fifth historical (or in Lodbrok's case, legendary) figure based off a film or TV series version of themselves, after Leonidas, Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, and William Wallace, with Lodbrok using Travis Fimmel's portayal of him from Vikings as the main source of inspiration.
- Both Ragnar and his opponent appear as characters in the mobile game Rise of Kingdoms, which sponsored their battle.