|STEADY THERE! I DON'T THINK IT'S VERY FAIR...
The Epic Rap Battles of History Patreon has potentially shared information relating to this page. Please respect their wishes not to share information gained from the Patreon.
|Nickname(s)||The Mad Titan|
|First appearance||February 1973|
The Invincible Iron Man #55
|Rap battle information|
|Appeared in||Epic Rap Battles of History 80 (speculated)|
|Vs||J. Robert Oppenheimer|
|Release date||December 2019 (speculated)|
Information on the rapper
Thanos is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character, created by writer/artist Jim Starlin and inspired in part by DC arch-villain Darkseid, first appeared in The Invincible Iron Man #55.
Born on the planet Titan, Thanos was almost killed by his own mother who foresaw his destiny of wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, which allows the Infinity Gems (Power, Mind, Space, Soul, Time, and Reality), to be used together to whatever end its user wills, effectively granting omnipotence. For Thanos, this was used to kill half the population of the universe in order to impress the female personification of Death, with whom he is obsessed.
Thanos appears prominently in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Here, Death is omitted entirely and Thanos' motivation for killing half of all life is based on solving overpopulation and achieving universal "balance". The MCU version of Thanos quickly became one of the most iconic fictional villains in recent history; the signature scene associated with him occurs at the end of Infinity War, where he succeeds in his ultimate goal and causes the majority of the cast, including favorites such as Spider-Man, Black Panther, and most of the Guardians of the Galaxy, to disintegrate by snapping his fingers with the completed Infinity Gauntlet. He was portrayed by Josh Brolin in Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame. Before this, he was briefly portrayed by Damion Poitier in a teaser scene at the end of The Avengers.
- Thanos was first confirmed by Nice Peter on the Official ERB Wiki Discord on February 12th, 2019. Peter stated "We got Thanos covered […] The matchup we have for Thanos makes me smile every time we talk about it."
- Thanos' name was written on the board in the background during the beginning of "The Patreon Song".
- Thanos' name was also written on a board in the behind the scenes video for Jacques Cousteau vs Steve Irwin saying "8 Thanos vs Oppenheimer Nov". This most likely alluded to his match-up and the battle's intended release month at the time of Cousteau vs Irwin.
- His name later appeared again on a whiteboard in the behind the scenes video for Mother Teresa vs Sigmund Freud saying "Thanos vs The Beatles Dec", likely teasing the fans after the previous leak.
- The Oppenheimer matchup would be seen once more in an Instagram story from EpicLLOYD on November 9th, where the file "ThanosVsOppenheimer_MainDrive" appears on his computer desktop.
- He and Oppenheimer are finally visually revealed in the outro of The Joker vs Pennywise.
- He will be the sixth Marvel-related rapper, after Thor, Stan Lee, Deadpool, Bruce Banner, and Wolverine.
- He will be the second comic book villain to rap in ERB, immediately following the Joker.
- He battled Tony Stark in an improv rap battle at the TooManyGames 2019 concert, where he was portrayed by Nice Peter.